Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Smart One's Thai Style Chicken & Rice Noodles

Since this is my first review in a while, I don't have much to say. I just posted a half hour ago too, so we'll jump right in to the review:

First Impressions: The peanuty thai sauce smell coming from the microwave is SUPER enticing! As I stir up the noodles, chicken, and carrots I note that the sauce is about the same orange as the carrots, so I'm hoping it won't be too spicy. There are plenty of bite sized chicken pieces and the carrots are about quarter inch rectangles, while the noodles are linguine in size and shape but made from rice.

Taste: On first bite, I would say that the sauce is a little too peanut buttery and sweet for me, but as I kept eating it, the meal became more enjoyable. There's definitely a spicy kick to the sauce, but I've eaten a good few bites so far and haven't needed water yet. I would say that this spice level is just about perfect for me -- any more spicy and it wouldn't be enjoyable. To put it on a scale, I would say it falls slightly below most medium salsas out there. As an aside, I just wanted to note that for the calories & fat content of this meal (260 and 4 grams, respectively) I wasn't expecting such an intense and delicious flavor. It's a rarity to find that in the low-cal and fat industry!

Texture: The carrots have a little life left in them texture wise and give a slight crunch. The chicken is moist and just the texture it should be, except for this one piece I had that was a little larger than the rest and on the dry side. I know frozen food companies have the tendency to basically grind their chicken meat and re-form it into patties or bite sized shapes, but this chicken has the same texture of a sliced boneless breast made at home which is a welcome sign to me. The rice noodles can be difficult for some people because they're naturally soft and a little gummy. I happen to enjoy the lighter flavor of rice noodles and the gummy part doesn't get to me so there's really nothing much to say about them.

Usually the photo would go here, but my camera is packed away in god knows what bag! Sorry!

General Thoughts: This meal is pretty much a slam dunk in the low cal low fat frozen entree world. It hits all the right notes with the slight sweetness of the carrots, the peanut-spice sauce, and the bite size morsels of chicken cooked right. I would advise strongly against this meal if you don't like satay sauces or have issues with noodle texture, since as I said rice noodles by nature have a gummy texture unlike wheat based noodles, but if you're interested in Asian flavors or looking to spice things up at lunch, I strongly suggest this entree to you!

I would definitely buy this again!

Rating: 4.5 stars

Calories: 260
Fat: 4 grams


Smart One's Website with Complete Nutrition Info

No comments:

Post a Comment