Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Gorey Details, Part II

As the title indicates, this is a continuation of my previous blog post about a vacation I took this past weekend with Matt on Cape Cod.

I first went to the Dan'l Webster Inn around 3 years ago on vacation with my best friend, Dan. His dad had read about it and wanted to try the place out and that meal ended up as my favorite meal of all time. They have an early dinner menu where you get 3 complete courses for a great price, though I must say that it was a little better the first time I tried it than the most recent time. It was still an enjoyable experience though. I had the Chicken Fig Marsala, which looked smaller and overall different this time versus what I got 3 years ago. They also had questionable soup choices, so I went with the upgrade to the French Onion soup which was both a little too big for me to finish and slightly too salty. I was sad to hear the choices for dessert were Grapenut Pudding (yuck) or a Chocolate Brownie sundae, but I opted for the sundae as I didn't want to dish out the extra $5 to $6 for a dessert upgrade when nothing was that appealing.

Part of the reason why my first visit to Dan'l Webster was so memorable was the first course of Cauliflower Cheese soup and the dessert of Flourless Chocolate Gateau with Raspberry Coulis. This was my first taste of that fudgey delight of a cake and I've been taken with it ever since, ordering it whenever I get the chance. The Brownie Sundae was better than I expected, but they could have spared some more brownie pieces for goodness sake. Alright I'm just being picky now, I should be grateful that I got that all for about $20 sans tax and tip versus Matt's $27 entree-only Duck Trio that he only half-liked. I tried a piece of duck but there was just something off about it and I couldn't even get past two chews before I had to, ahem, spit it out...

After Dan'l Webster, we went back to our hotel and decided to walk to one of the mini-golf places right near us. I opted to go for the more showy looking Wild Animal Lagoon, which ended up being pricey, annoying, and not challenging at all. I beat Matt by about 4 strokes though, which almost made up for it. I still kick myself for not trying out the smaller Putter's Paradise right next to the hotel which is a local fave and apparently pretty cheap too. Matt was pretty hungry as we both ate dinner earlier than usual and he didn't eat half of what was on his plate, so we did a late night McDonald's run. I got a Double Cheeseburger in spite of everything and I ended up eating half his medium fries and some of a chicken select, too. That was pretty much it for Friday, except that I stayed up late designing a Coheed & Cambria t-shirt for a contest. I thought it was due the next day but luckily the contest was extended until the 25th.

(Urgh, pause for being angry at this school's shit ass internet connection. Had to switch from Blogger to Notepad to finish writing this.)

Sunday consisted of going to Provincetown for the day, but we once again got a late start and had a kind of slow lunch (and crummy), so we didn't get there until about 2 PM. We didn't last too long there, as I wasn't hungry enough to wait around to eat dinner there, then wait for any of the shows that would start at 8 PM or later. By 5:30 PM we were headed back and I felt really regret that I didn't get to spend more time there due to being tired. P-town was one of the vacation spots for my family for a few years (along with Old Orchard Beach) so I felt nostalgic and didn't want to return to Yarmouth. Matt was pretty hungry almost all afternoon, which I didn't know until we went to a later dinner at DiParma that night around 8 PM. We had a half hour wait, which was kind of BS in my opinion but we stuck around because he was digging the place and wanted Italian. Dinner was nice enough, but I hated how slow it was. I wasn't really hungry and was sort of absently eating but I'll tell you their house salad was phenomenal for some unknown reason. I should have just ordered one for dinner, but I wasn't hungry while I ordered and just got something (the steak) I thought would be good enough; it was, don't get me wrong, but not being hungry sucks the life outta enjoying food to me. We missed our chance to get another round of mini-golf in because the two flashy places were way too packed for my liking and by the time we ate, which probably took a good hour and half or more when all is said and done. I figured Putter's Paradise would be closing soon so I didn't bother to go check them out just to get my hopes dashed.

Monday was gloomy and full of light rain, the perfect going home weather. We stopped at the Cape Cod Potato Chip factory for a tour and found ourselves in a 15 minute long line. There was a group of French Canadians in front of us, which provided me with some entertainment (I've taken French ever since Junior High) but ultimately the tour was lame; it's self-guided through the use of a few posters explaining the process accompanied by 4 or 5 big glass windows you can look into. It all funnels into the store at the end, where you pay full supermarket prices for everything. We got 3 bags of chips (all new flavors - 40% reduced fat BBQ, Sweet and Spicy Jalapeno, and Yukon Gold) plus their only flavor of popcorn, which tastes really similar to Smartfood but a bit lighter and fresher.

We stopped for lunch at Red Robin on the way back, which was another slight disappointment. The Royal Red Robin Burger (I suspect the bun actually) tasted a bit off even though it was my usual order and Matt didn't like what he got. We both wanted to try the special burger (Spicy Honey Glazed Bacon Burger) we saw online, but our table was missing the promotional stove shaped box so we both thought they didn't have the burger in stores anymore. We were wrong. Matt then drove me back to Salem, where I packed up some stuff with my Hello Kitty bike and sent him home. I hated to send him back, but it was already getting darker and gloomier and we had no more reason to beat around the bush.

I guess now that I look back on it, the overall vacation events were kind of mediocre but going to the Gorey House really made up for it. I'm really looking forward to a time when Matt and I can go on vacation and enjoy it fully instead of having a rushed two-nighter crammed in right before I finish up my Summer class. I'm looking forward to doing something fun this Spring Break, but as to what I'm not sure. Neither of us are interested in the typical college Spring Break, though I really want to go on a cruise. It's too bad that just about every cruise will be packed with annoying college kids. I would say that we could go to Montreal but I don't think going farther up North during the cold months is a great idea either. I'll have to brain storm it with him later.

So it's approaching midnight now and I seriously can't go to sleep without studying more. Not sure how much this helped, but I'm handing myself over to the Accounting Gods now!

No comments:

Post a Comment