Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers - Penne & Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo

So I've been beyond lazy and behind on blogging lately. Life updates: my ex-roomie moved in our quad apartment last night due to conflicts with the girls she lived with this year. It's nice to have her back, though we're not directly in the same room (which is odd). Being a Student Senator has been fun and awesome thus far, I'm glad I decided to run. Cost Accounting sucks, and I really need to pick up the ball on that and in general get back into the habit of studying, doing homework, etc. I've fallen mostly off the wagon with the healthy eating but manage to keep a tenuous grip and resist temptation partially. I've also been choosing healthier options even when I do eat poorly. Progress, if only baby steps, I'd say.

What exactly brought me out of hiding you might ask? I've been eating a lot of healthy meals over the past weeks that I haven't blogged about for various reasons (read: laziness and forgetfulness) but since I have both the free time and the meal in front of me today, it was a perfect opportunity. Honestly though, the BIG reason I decided to dust the cobwebs off the ol' blog is that this meal is just plain awful tasting. Read all about it:

First Impressions: Upon first unwrapping the package and plopping it in the microwave, all seemed well. I like to heat the sauce package for about 20 seconds to keep everything hot, so I did. Since I got sick last week, I'm still a little stuffy but from what I could smell, everything seemed fine. The orangey sauce and red peppers contrast nicely.

Taste: I opened the sauce to put into the pasta and took a little taste. I have low expectations for anything creamy and low fat, but even this was a little funky tasting for what I imagined. It has a strange alfredo-y aftertaste that I can't quite pinpoint but there is the roasted sentiment that kind of helps the sauce along. After a few bites of the red pepper pieces, I'm having trouble finishing even this small portion of pasta. I normally gobble it up so quickly, but after a good half hour of trying to avoid as many pepper pieces as possible I might be giving up. The peppers are not only slimy but completely mushy and have an almost metallic sharp taste to them. I wonder if the preservatives in the meal are making this awful taste? Also, I know peppers usually have a little bite to them, but this is like a shark attack bite of awful flavor. Seriously, what DID they do to this poor meal?!

Texture: As I said above, the peppers are like disintegrating slime bombs of awful. The whole wheat pasta you can cook to your liking as far as firmness is concerned but the package directions usually yield a decent al-dente to soft al-dente that pleases me. The pasta is now chewy or gummy as some wheat pastas tend to be. In fact, I think the texture of the pasta and ability to control the firmness of the product is about all I like about this meal.

General Thoughts: Keep away 50 feet from this meal at all times! The terribleness of this meal makes me wonder if the people at Healthy Choice even did market taste testing for this meal and if so, who actually liked this meal? I have to say this is hands down the worst meal I've had since I've started my blogging, taking the title away from this entree. I'm a little worried to try this lines other newest creation but because I've never had a horrible meal out of this line apart from this one time, I'm willing to give it a try. If you're looking to give this line a try, then I highly recommend their Steak Portobello or Rotini with Zesty Marinara options which both rate at 4 or 5 stars in my book!

I would NEVER buy this again!


Rating: 1/2 star

Calories: 290
Fat: 5 grams
Healthy Choice Website with Complete Nutrition Info

No comments:

Post a Comment